Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The experience of AIESEC Selection Process, by Sounak Mazumder (DT Department)


AIESEC....One of the biggest steps I’ve taken in life so far-to make a change in the world, using the power of today-Youth.

It all started when my friend, a member of AIESEC Singapore told me about this organization. I looked up for it on the internet but nothing seemed to reach me. Then in the II semester we had people from AIESEC selling forms at KC.I was really excited and learned a lot more from the World Without Borders held at KC. Ramit, a present member of AIESEC showed me his presentation which he made on his internship in Kenya. I was really moved by the kind of work he did for the children there. I wasted no time in buying a form and filling it up.

Soon, I was called for a G.D. (the very first of the February recruitment drive, I guess) The G.D. was headed by Anupama, Manuja and Naren. There were 8 of us-4 first years, 2 second years and 2 third years. The topic to be discussed about was “Should Military Training be made mandatory as a course with undergraduates”. My friend, Faisal and I dominated the entire discussion which continued in the abstract topic “Saturday Night Fever“. The activity was a lot of fun as it tested our convincing abilities and creativity. The activity for us was to sell a pen cap. It was a lot of fun thinking of what to do and what to put into it to make the customer wanting to buy it. With that we ended the G.D.

As I expected, I cleared the G.D. and was a called for a personal interview.Again, I was the first one.Anupama, and our Local Committee President took my interview. It was a very interactive one. I expressed myself very well. It was handled very professionally which made me feel really good from inside. Through the interview, I got a clearer picture of the things an AIESECer does which really amazed me. I was really happy with my interview and was now hoping to get selected.

A week went by; I suffered a ligament injury and was restricted to my bed for a week. At around 10:30pm I got a call from Priya, also a present member saying that I didn’t get selected. I was very disappointed but assured her I’ll try again next semester.Then, she said that she was joking and said that I WAS SELECTED for AIESEC!!! I was really happy that I was now a part of an organization that is changing the world.

I am AIESECer and was, am and will be proud of that.

Thank You.

1 comment:

  1. i want to be an aiesecer.....but i have droped out an year from my BBA due to health issues
    please respond and if it wont be a problem please contact me on my mail id (karanpushp22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete